in your browser.
Ret vs ice mage
Return to board index
This post was from a user who has deleted their account.
Ret having trouble with a kiting spec? No way!
Now now, lets be fair, frost mages are an absolute pain in the butt.
A few pointers;
- Make sure you have all of your "dispell fodder" up, this includes RF, Sacred Sheild, BoM at the start of the fight. As it goes on you should have AoW procs and Vengencex3 up. Having all of this will make spellstealing the HoFreedom very difficult, as a result, try to keep up your dispell fodder at all times, especially BoM, useless to them and relatively cheap to recast.
- Cleanse. You cant use it enough in these fights, try and get out of frost nova's with it when you have a full stack of winters chill isnt easy, so cleanse as ur chasingthe bugger around.
- Break stun asap. The deep freeze should be HoF'd/trinketed out of asap.
- Force a blink. try and get em in close without the use of HoJ. force em to blink then when you do catch them you could (if the dont IB) get a full HoJ stun length to kill em.
- Use AoW procs as much as possible.
- Kill water ele. Very low Hp, as your being kited in circles give it a quick kill as you go past, should only take a CS and Judge, maybe a DS if u get unlucky, but as you're nowhere near melee range, cant hurt to put em on CD.
- DS on Mirror immages, should kill em all off asap, or run away for a bit :)
- Try as much as possible to not get hit by shatter combo's use whatever means necessary, they hurt, lots.
Much of this will be countered by a skilled pvp frost mage who knows when to blow their CD's but you gotta start somewhere...
keeping winter's chill down and forcing the blink is the key in my experience. HoF is kept till after trinket.
Obvious things to remember: Repentance is very useful Incompacitate cant be blinked and Use all Procs of AoW. killing the ele and images can give you quite a few procs :) mirror images are kind of dumb too you can LoS them pretty easily.
Also if you're a horde pala arcane torrent can give you a little bit of an edge but not much.
I've yet to face a frost mage I can't kill. Then again, most frost mages I come across gear exclusively PvE, and therefore closing the distance just once is enough to face-plant them. Mag gave some awesome tips; here's a few more / adding more to his.
- Cleanse should be spammed. You're going to get kited, and during that you'll have plenty of time to get this instant-cast off on yourself. Keep their debuffs off of you as much as possible.
- Save your stuns for after a blink. Like Mag said, close the distance and FORCE the blink. As soon as they do, throw a HoJ or, if they get out of range, a Repentance on them. If you have Righteous Vengeance on them, Repentance is of course going to break, but this can still give you enough time to get into HoJ range, and get in a full burst.
- Hand of Freedom is a no-brainer. It's getting nerfed next patch, with a shorter duration, so keep that in mind. Nonetheless it's a great tool for closing the distance on these buggers. If you've got them "on the ropes," use HoF to prevent them from kiting even further away, and to keep pressure on them. Nothing is scarier to a frost mage than using a Frost Nova that doesn't stop the Retadin choo-choo-Awesometrain.
- As you would while facing any other high DPS class / spec, use your AoW procs. Keep them rolling. It may be hard to get some AoW procs depending on how much you're getting kited, but on the flipside, you should have plenty of time to get them off while the mage is jumping around.
- Remember that frost mages aren't exactly the Ret Pally's strength. Yes, we can kill them, but it's not as easy as, say, killing a non-resto Shaman. It's a tricky class / spec to kill, but that just makes it that much more rewarding. :D
Nothing is scarier to a frost mage than using a Frost Nova that doesn't stop the Retadin choo-choo-Awesometrain.
NEVER use HoF on frost nova.
He will deep freeze you and you're screwed. SPAM cleanse instead. Use HoF to remove deep freeze. Its a stun. You can remove it.
Repetance to get in range, Hoj ONLY if he just blinked, if he iceblocks, heal. Use FoLs, harder to interrupt if he comes out of ice block to counterspell. And if he counterspells you, dont panic. His blink is still on cd and you can CS + DS him while silenced.
Use Divine Plea asap, cleanse spamming and some self healing with absorb = no mana from JotW will make you OOM soon.
If he spellsteals any of your buffs (sacred shield HAS to be up, BoM) reapply it. May sound obvious, but... use frost resistance aura. I still often forget to change auras according to the situation.
NEVER use HoF on frost nova.
You're absolutely right, and I want to clarify -- I wasn't talking about using HoF
Frost Nova, but just the fact that you can't get snared while HoF is active. I've seen many a mage try to Frost Nova despite HoF's spell effect so obviously spinning around my feet, hence not stopping the Awesometrain from jumping into their face like the Kool-Aid Man.
You are not logged in. Please
to post a reply or
if you don't already have an account.
Connect with Wowhead
Other Fanbyte Sites
Hearthstone Top Decks
Final Fantasy XI
© 2021 Fanbyte