Post by Victarious
Hey all. I'm looking into DK tanking, and I got some good info on Blood (appreciate it!) so I figured I'd ask about DW Frost.
I've just hit 80 on my DK, and am gearing up as a DPS for now. I've been looking into tanking one-handers. I understand that Death Knights are geared toward tanking with a DPS weapon, but I thought these two swords might be good for heroics.
Infantry Assault Blade vs. Peacekeeper Blade
Looking at the two, IAB stands out as it's a 2.6 speed tank weapon, which hits as hard as comparable DPS weapons. As I understand it, we want the slow weapons for stronger strike damage. BUT, Peacekeeper has 33 higher DPS. Will the DPS increase override the speed difference, or should I stick with IAB, or is NEITHER any good? I know they're not BiS or anything, but I really only run heroics.
Thanks in advance!
Post by Bonurmum
Two problems with your weapons,
The first one is slower and will hit harder, yes, but its such a low Item level
1. you get almost no stat benefits from it as far as tanking weapons are concerned
2. More easily attained tanking weapons have almost as much top end damage, in addition to better stats, as it because its an ilvl 200 blue, eg. This,
a bit difficult to obtain if you specifically are tanking it and are undergeared, but you could just go DPS and need on it anyway since by now most have it.
The 219 ToC sword has the benefit of better stats in addition to a socket, however is much much faster.
If you need the threat dont bother with an ilvl 200 blue with poor stats and get the most easily attainable DPS weapon, youll get almost as good stats off a higher ilvl dps weapon than the infantry blade.
If threat is just not a problem peacekeepers is fine as an OH to a DPS weapon, or if its REALLY not a problem, get two.
Post by hashmel
- DW frost tanks should keep 4 weapons handy, 2 dps and 2 tank weapons all gemmed and forged for the purpose of tanking.
- Start with MH = DPS, OH = DPS to ensure you have initial aggro
- if you're generating excess threat switch to MH = DPS, OH = Tank trading currently unnecessary threat for some increased survivability
- If you're now generating insufficient threat go back to MH = DPS, OH = DPS
- If you're still generating excess threat with MH = DPS, OH = Tank then switch to MH = Tank, OH = Tank trading more currently unnecessary threat for some increased survivability
- If you're now generating insufficient threat with MH = Tank, OH = Tank then go back to MH = DPS, OH = Tank
- If you get Shadowmourne respec to 2hand tanking, blood will most likely produce the best results
Be aware swapping weapons will reset your swing timer resulting in a dip in tps so plan accordingly if you intend to min/max by weapon swapping.
Example of dps weapon = Bloodvenom Blade
Examples of tank weapons = Trauma
, Burnished Quel'Serrar
, Orgrim's Deflector
Post by woohaa
O.o gg don't think i've ever switched up my weapons in combat. i tank with 2xrimefang's
haven't had much issues with threat. even when i'm tanking a raid. but it's your char it's up to you. some people feel they need the extra threat from 2 dps weapons and some like having the defense stats from 2 tanking weapons. it's a personal preference in my opinion because there's too much debate on the subject. If you want threat why not get a nice 2hander
and try 2hand frost?
imo frost is more of the mitigation build and aoe threat, extra avoidance and dmg reduction. Whereas blood is the higher single target threat and high HP build. that's my opinion but to each his own.
Post by Thror
If you only run heroics and aren't too well geared yet, 2H frost is probably your best bet. A good alternative to Marrowstrike is this
for Alliance or its Horde equivalent
. Both are fairly easy to obtain and can be used for dps as well. If you have the cash a Destroyer
also works very well for tanking. Just remember to switch your runeforge to SSG before entering the LFD queue. Don't switch to DW until you get 2xAdelar's Battlestar
at least from h ToCh. Before that one, 2H weapons are generally the better choice for tanking.
Dude, its 2010. Dont suggest ilvl 200 weapons.
Post by Victarious
200 ilvl is fine, we're talking gearing up here, no reason I can't at least TRY to do so as a tank. Anyway thanks all for the responses, I appreciate it. Everything got rendered sort of moot, though, as Nighttime
dropped for me last night, as did this
, and I bought one of these
. So I can use Nighttime as my MH and one of the others as my OH -- perhaps as hashmel suggested, start with Reaper and go to IAB if my threat is okay. Or, since I still need a few pieces before I can even start tanking, another Nighttime will drop tonight and then the hell with it. :)
But thanks all!