in your browser.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Arcane Mage Talents
This section of the Arcane Mage guide provides an overview of all talents, information on which talents work well in different situations, and popular builds in Wowhead's talent calculator. This guide is written by Malon, who raids with <Omen> on Emerald Dream EU; his lifelong ambition is to have the Warlock class renamed to 'Fuzzy Cuddlebears'. Find him on
mage forums. Updated for the latest patch.
Rotation & Abilities
Macros & Addons
Tips & Tricks
A sample levelling talent build can be found at:
A sample raiding build can be found at:
Tier 1 Talents
- Summons a Familiar that attacks your enemies and increases your maximum mana by 10%.
- Increases the damage of Arcane Missiles by 15% per Arcane Charge.
Words of Power
- Grants an extra 1% chance to trigger
per 20% of mana you have unspent.
is a solid boost to your capacity, specifically the burn phase, and scales well with gear. However,
is the best choice for The Nighthold, especially with our two-piece T19 bonus (
Item - Mage T19 Arcane 2P Bonus
Words of Power
will help in your conserve phase. but is too random to be a reliable pick.
Tier 2 Talents
- Gives Blink two charges, takes it off the global cooldown and makes its usable while casting.
can now be channeled while moving.
- Removes the cooldown of
, but causes it to drain mana.
All three of these talents have a specific place.
is a fantastic upgrade to
; the importance of extra manoeuvrability cannot be overstated. The same applies to
; which you take is a matter of personal and encounter choice. Considering the importance of mana for Arcane Mages,
is inferior to the other options on this tier.
Tier 3 Talents
- Creates copies of you which will attack your enemies for 40 seconds. Enemies will prefer to attack them instead of you.
Rune of Power
- Places a Rune on the ground for 10 seconds. All damage you deal while standing inside is increased by 40%. Two charges.
- Steadily increases the damage you deal while in combat, up to 20%, and then decreases to 4%. This cycle repeats every 10 seconds.
is useful in single-target fights with burst requirements; however, the spell doesn't line up with any of Arcane's other cooldowns, so it's a weaker choice for the spec. On the other hand, Arcane does very well with
Rune of Power
, as it plays to the flavours of frequent burst and immobility.
is a passive option that will provide solid returns, and should be the go-to option if you are not comfortable with Rune of Power. Arcane Mages can ‘bank' procs of Arcane Missiles to use at high stacks.
Tier 4 Talents
- Creates an explosion around your target, dealing damage to all enemies and double damage to the primary target. Also knocks enemies into the air.
- Immediately grants four Arcane Charges.
deals 25% more damage per target hit.
can be useful if you are dropping Arcane Charges frequently, i.e. you are using
to cleave. For most fights, you will use
against a single target or if burst area-of-effect damage is needed, and
for sustained AoE.
Tier 5 Talents
- Arcane Barrage slows enemies and increases your movement speed by 30%.
Ring of Frost
- An area-of-effect incapacitate, for 10 seconds, placed with a targeting reticule.
- Gives Frost Nova two charges.
With the removal of
for Arcane Mages,
is the best choice in this tier. If you need crowd control,
Ring of Frost
can be useful while in the open world, as can
(also a reasonable choice in PvP).
Tier 6 Talents
- Places a damage-over-time effect on the target which will also deal damage to enemies nearby. Damage increased by Arcane Charges.
- Grants your
a 20% chance to explode and deal additional damage to the target and all nearby enemies.
- Your attacks increase the damage the target takes from your Arcane spells by 1%, stacking up to 8%. This effect lasts for three seconds and then decays at a rate of 1% every second.
is the ability to pick for area-of-effect encounters; make sure to use it at four
stacks and, for preference, on a target that will stay alive for the full duration (such as a boss).
was buffed in patch 7.1.5 and is now the best choice in the tier for cleave (2-4 target) encounters. On single-target fights and those with with a priority kill target,
beats out both other options; use Arcane Missiles to stack it up quickly.
Tier 7 Talents
- Increases your damage and lowers mana costs by 70% while
- Reduces Arcane Blast's cast time for each Arcane Charge you have.
- Launches an
forward, piercing all targets in its path. Grants an
when cast and for each enemy hit.
is an excellent ability, lengthening your burn phase significantly.
has the potential to be very powerful but currently plays badly with Arcane's dislike of haste, as it results in us quickly losing mana.
is very useful for multi-target fights; its damage was massively buffed (from ~80% to 500% spellpower scaling) in patch 7.1.5.
Back to Top
Share your comments about this guide in our Mage forum!
Fire Mage Talents
Frost Mage Talents
Ranged DPS Overview - Tips and Specs
More Class Guides
Warlords of Draenor Druid Changes
Mechanical Hunter Pet Guide
Elementals in Draenor: An In-Depth Guide to Elemental Shaman
Warlords of Draenor Death Knight Changes
Holy Priest Artifact Challenge Guide
Arms Warrior Artifact Challenge
Fury Warrior Artifact Challenge
Restoration Shaman Artifact Challenge
Discipline Priest Artifact Challenge Guide
Guardian Druid Artifact Challenge
Warlords of Draenor Follower Guide
Heirloom Collections Guide
Warlords of Draenor Legendary Ring Guide
Hidden Artifact Weapon Appearances and Effects
Draenor Pathfinder: How To Unlock Flying in Draenor
More Guides by Wowhead
WoW's 10th Anniversary (November 21 - January 13)
Mists of Pandaria: Cooking Overview
Quick Tips for Tanks in Highmaul
Nythendra Raid Boss Strategy Guide
All Transmog Sets for Paladins
Enjoying our collection of Guides? Try
to support the site, get an ad-free experience, and get premium features!
Other ZAM Sites
Final Fantasy XI
© 2017 ZAM Network LLC